Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Secondary Navigation

Main page Content

History

Chatsworth State School was officially opened on 18 April, 1900 by Andrew Fisher, then MLA for Gympie.  (Later, in 1908, he was the first Queenslander to become a Labor Prime Minister of Australia.)

The original school Reserve was an area of 1 acre, 1 rood, and 2 perches. The school cost £100..17s..6d to build. Furniture arrived by rail and included four desks, six forms, one easel, one blackboard and seven pan sashes.

The first teacher was Mr JJ Ford. Twenty-six pupils were enrolled. In 1902 permission was granted to hold school hours at Chatsworth daily from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm. In 1908 the school committee requested a playshed be built. A tender of £45 was accepted. This playshed built in 1910, now known as the bus shelter, still stands on the school grounds and is the oldest structure remaining.

As enrolment numbers rose approval was granted in 1923 for the erection of a new State School for Chatsworth at a cost of £543. In 1925 approval for the erection of further additions to the school was granted at a cost of £390. This building (Block A) was completed in 1926. The original old school building was put up for tender and sold for £40 to Mr Walter Allen and moved across the road onto his property.

Around 1932 another acre of land was purchased for the school. By 1977 school numbers had expanded to the extent that ‘modular’ buildings were brought in and a further 2.186 hectares was purchased for school grounds. In 1978 B Block was added with C Block added in 1994 and the pre-school/prep was built in 1995. In 2010, as part of the Building the Education Revolution, a new library/resource building and under covered multi-purpose court was added.